THE CASH RAILWAY WEBSITE
|Home||Manufacturers||Cash Balls||Wire systems||Pneumatic systems||Locations||References||Patents|
ADELAIDE. City Cash Store. "During the past few months great improvements have been made in the cash railway systems adopted at many of the large retail establishments in Adelaide. Mr. Irwin Bleechmore, the local agent for Lamson's cash railway systems for shops, has completed the erection of an improved system at the City Cash Store in Rundle-street, and without doubt it eclipses anything previously introduced in this line. The ball railway as well as wire carriers have been in use in the principal shops in the city for some time past, but Mr. Bleechmore's latest importation is a much more rapid service, and is decidedly more simple in construction. There are two wires between the station and the cash desk, and above the 'carrier' are four small wheels, one wire passing over two of these and the other wire under the other two. When the 'carrier' is stationary the wires are very close together, but by the use of a small lever they are separated at the extremities, and the pressure on the wheels causes them to revolve, with the result that the 'carrier' is dispatched at great speed to the cash desk. The rate can be regulated to a nicety by the pressure on the lever, and it is possible for either the clerk at the station or the cashier to send the 'carrier' on the return journey. The old catapult system has been entirely done away with, and in many respects the new railway is a marked improvement." The Advertiser (Adelaide), 25 Jan 1895, p.7. This is the Gipe design - Gipe took out his patent in 1892 and it appears that it was already being exploited by Lamson in 1895.
ADELAIDE. Coliseum (drapers), Rundle Street. "The inconvenience is condiserably minimised by the enterprise of the firm in providing a cash railway system... Mr. H.C.Le Bas, the representative of the Lamson Store Service Company, Sydney, erected the system, which is more simple in construction and expeditious in action than older systems in use in Adelaide. The new building was opened on Saturday." Advertiser (Adelaide) 13 Mar. 1899, p.6
ADELAIDE. Harris Scarfe & Co., Gawler Place. Messrs Harris Scarfe, & Co., of Gawler place, have recently had the vacuo pressure pneumatic tube systemminstalled by the Lamson Store Service Company through their local agent Mr. Irwin Beechmore. This is the first system of its kind installed in this State... The suction of air is caused by a blower driven by an electric motor." Register (Adelaide) 27 Jan. 1909, p.4
ADELAIDE. John Martin &
Co., Rundle Street. "A sub-basement below the department on the lower-ground floor
... houses the lighting switchboard, air pumps and the modern Lamson Store
Service Tube System". The big store: 80th anniversary bulletin.
Adelaide: John Martin, 1946
ADELAIDE. Myer Emporium, Rundle Street (formerly James Marshall & Co.). "The newly installed Lamson cash carrier service, which is electrically operated - and reduces 'waiting for change' to a minimum."
ADELAIDE. Malcolm Reid, 187-195 Rundle Street. Building now houses South Australian Writer's Centre. Photograph of eight Rapid Wire propulsions on a circular mounting.
GAWLER. H.B.Crosby Pty. Ltd., Essex House, Murray
Street. "It was in 1980 that the 'Flying Foxes' were replaced
in Crosby's store but they still attract tourists who are fascinated with
the rare relic of early commercial transactions... The 'Flying Fox' system
of cash carriers with 13 stations were [sic] installed in 1912 and was
manufactured by Lamson Engineering Co. of Adelaide, who also made up spare
parts for the carriers." The
Bunyip and photos on Walkabout
website , Flickr(1) and Flickr(2). There are nine counter positions. "The present managing
director, Mr Arthur Cooper.. says the 'Flying Fox' system is just as efficient
as it was half a century ago." Lamson Newsletter, July 1973
GLENELG. Ryans. "Ryans at Glenelg SA had a Lamson Cash Carrier system in the 1950s." Eleanor on ABC Open
HAHNDORF. Muggleton's General Store and Restaurant, 38 Main Street. Replica Rapid Wire system made by Vivian Rush Specialty Engineering about 2002. There were two lines in the restaurant and all orders and bills were sent by them. Removed by 2013. V.Rush. Photographs
LOXTON. Eudunda Farmers (hardware, men's and ladies' wear, groceries, drapery). "As an employee in the menswear department, Win wrapped all kinds of clothing items and shoes in brown paper and tied them up with string. She was never however, allowed to handle the money. As many settlers tell, the store had a system whereby the sales assistant placed the docket and the money in a container inside a little wire cage which was whizzed, by an overhead system of cables, to an upstairs cash office. There, a woman would take out the money, work out the payable change, place it in the container, pull a lever and send it back down to the assistant to give to the customer. Vern Hallam recalls that kids loved to go into Eudunda Farmers to watch the little container flying over their heads across the shop." George, Karen. "A place of their own: the men and women of war service land settlement at Loxton after the Second World War". (Kent Town, SA: Wakefield, 1999), p. 283.
QUORN. Fosters Welcome Mart, aka The Great Northern Emporium, aka Emily's Bistro, 45 First Street. "This store still has the original flying fox docket and money transport system... You will always be welcome to come in and have a look at this piece of history." Flinders Ranges Council website. Also Quorndon Magazine, Summer 2002. Some photographs at ABC website and on Flikr. Apparently still there in 2017 Grey Nomads Forum .
KAPUNDA. Museum, 11 Hill Street in former Baptist Church. "Here you can travel back in time to the days of the old Farmer's Co-operative store... This gadget is a flying fox that sent the money from the counter down to the cashier in the middle of the shop." Postcards website
UNLEY. Unley Museum, 80 Edmund Avenue. "Visit the Unley Museum's latest exhibition Shop 'Til You Drop... Kids can use the replica overhead cash carrier ('flying fox')". Unley website . The system was made by Viv Rush. Exhibition ended and system removed in June 2008.
indicates systems which are still there (as far as I know) though they may not be working.